Thursday, April 13, 2017

2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Predictions: First Round

*annual disclaimer* I'm by no means a hockey expert.  In fact I'm far from it, but I do this for fun and I've done it every year I've done the blog so I'm not stopping now.

Eastern Conference

1) Montreal Canadiens
WC) New York Rangers
Prediction: Rangers in 6
Why?: The Rangers played in the best division in hockey this year and finished with only one less point than Atlantic Champ Montreal.  Lundqvist is still really good and the Rangers have been here before making deep runs as well.

2) Ottawa Senetors
3) Boston Bruins
Prediction: Bruins in 7
Why?: Tukka Rask is a good goalie, and Boston has other good players.  I know they're good because I've heard of them.  Honestly I don't know much about Ottawa other than Austin Matthews scored 4 goals in his first game and it was against Ottawa.  So I'm just picking Boston in a toss up.

1) Washington Capitals
WC) Toronto Maple Leaves
Prediction: Caps in 6
Why?: Toronto is my team.  I love the NHL playoffs but I never had a team because there's no team in Wisconsin so I picked a bad team in hopes they'll eventually be good.  Well the good news is the Leafs are already back in the playoffs.  The bad news is they play the president cup winning Capitals.  I think they'll challenge the Caps but Washington's talent and experience will win out.  If this was the second round I'd take Toronto because that's when the Caps lose.

2) Pittsburg Penguins
3) Columbus Blue Jackets
Prediction: Pens in 5
Why?: Pittsburg has a lot of star power, a Crosby looking to score (and led the league in goals), and speed.  Columbus has size.  They're like San Jose and Pittsburg picked them apart in the Finals last year so expect similar results here.

Western Conference:

1) Chicago Blackhawks
WC) Nashville Predators
Prediction: Hawks in 6
Why?: They're the Blackhawks, it's an odd year, they were the best in the West, the defense is better than last year.  Need any other reasons?  No?  Good, let's move on.

2) Minnesota Wild
3) St. Louis Blues
Prediction: Wild in 7
Why?: The Wild had one of their best seasons I can remember, now they need to prove it was no fluke and win in the playoffs.  The Blues are good, but the Wild should ultimately win the series if they're for real this year.

1) Anaheim Ducks
WC) Calgary Flames
Prediction: Ducks in 6
Why?: The Ducks are like the Caps.  Have a good season, win the division, win the first round series then lose.  Every year.  Unlike the Caps the Ducks have made the conference finals but can't seem to get any further.  They'll handle Calgary then we'll see.

2) Edmonton Oilers
3) San Jose Sharks
Prediction: Oilers in 7
Why?: Nobody expected the Oilers to make the playoffs.  They thought they'd set a new NHL record with 11 seasons with no playoffs.  Well they were wrong, and the prize is playing the defending runner-ups.  The Oilers will have the best player on the ice in second year man Conner McDavid and it'll be on his shoulders to carry them to the next round.  I think he can and will in what should be a good series.

No comments:

Post a Comment